Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Changed Life!

October 6, 2009

Wednesday, February 20, 2008. It was a busy day and had just ended my day with an implant consultation. I sat at my desk and pulled up the patients chart and x-rays. I usually glance at the scan prior to looking over the health history to get an idea of the patients general health. There were five teeth in the front of the upper and four teeth on the lower with three molars randomly dispersed. Most of the teeth that remained were badly broken down with marginal dentistry that was not completed. I was shocked to find that this were the x-rays of a 28 year old young man. I immediately thought about all that this young adult must have gone through for his mouth to be in this condition. That is a sad realization for a father of three. The health history was unremarkable. My curiosity got the better of me so I grabbed up my loops and proceeded to the operatory where the staff had seated this young man.



As I walked into the room there was a nice looking young man that was well dressed and sitting in the chair with both hands folded on his lap. He was gazing down at his hands which were white from squeezing them so tight. I positioned myself in front of him and introduced myself and at that point he slowly turned his head and with a quiet stutter mumbled something that sounded like he was horrified and embarrased. I immediately backed off and sat down in the chair in front of him and quietly said, "I'm looking forward to helping you...my name is Gary." He looked at me for the first time and with the same quiet broken stutter. He stated that he would like to know how much it would cost for implants. He didn’t smile at all. Most of the time we talked about his mouth he looked at the ground. He Was very introverted and possibly abused by another doctor. My heart immediately broke for this young man. His dental condition had converted a wonderful young life into a broken old man that was ashamed to interact with people.


I spent two hours explaining all that could be done and how long it would take to finish the work properly. By the end of the consultation he still had his stutter but seemed excited about the potential. Then we had to talk finances. I knew that all the major reconstruction necessary would be a financial burden for anyone, much less a 28 year old that was 'on his own' since the age of 15. We decided that we could start on the upper teeth and go from there.


Now it is Tuesday October 6, 2009. I haven't seen this young man since his last cleaning six months ago. That's right, we finished all his dentistry one year later in February of 09. This young man is an intelligent, hard working and responsible man that we all accepted as family after working with him for several months. I have no idea how he was able to finance such expensive dentistry but it was perfect. Every aspect of this case was to utter perfection. When he walks into our office now he is smiling from ear to ear. His speech is definite and commanding without the hint of a stutter. I told him today kiddingly that he is just too happy. As I performed a minor procedure on one of his teeth that we had been watching, I asked him what he was up to. He simply said, while laughing, “My life is great! I didn’t realize that I never smiled before. All my pictures before I had my teeth done, showed that I was forcing my mouth closed to avoid embarrassment.” He went on to say, “Now all the pictures of me show me as a happy guy that can’t stop smiling. I go out a lot. I love my new life!”

I finished the procedure and told him that he looked great and stepped into my office. I couldn’t help but think how lucky I am to be in a profession that I love so much.
A profession that does more than fix teeth or reconstruct smiles. This case is just one example of many that I have had the privilege to see through to the end over the last thirty years. There are no words to describe the feelings that are running through me as I reflect on the other side of this case. What a rich and rewarding profession. I am a lucky man. This is why I love what I do.


1 comments:

Dentist in Los Angeles said...

Fantastic post and Thanks for sharing this informative post.




Dentist Los Angeles

Post a Comment