Friday, October 2, 2009

Not your typical dental appointment…but so very much better!

September 30, 2009
As I locked the drug cabinet and set the alarm, I had to stop and reflect on this day in particular. One of my dear patients, of over twenty years was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in July and today she was in for a cleaning. Her loving husband had asked me at his last appointment if a cleaning appointment would be possible for his wife considering all the medications that she was now taking. I told him that I would love to see her and that it would be good for her spirits.
The office was buzzing with anticipation and a bit of anxiety as we waited to confront this beast that had inflicted our friend. I must admit, that in all the years that I have known this patient, she is the last person that I would think would be inflicted with this monster. She was extremely healthy with very little medical history. Love to exercise eat well and extremely active in her successful business all while maintaining a beautiful marriage and family of over thirty years.
The news that she was diagnosed with cancer was more than a shock to my whole being. I remember just sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes thinking about the dream house she and her husband had been talking about building in Santa Barbara when they retired this next year. I couldn’t suppress the thoughts of what my friend would have to face as she began the
treatment associated with fighting this monster.

Earlier that morning I was called into the hygiene bay to check one of the hygienists recalls. It was one of the kids that had grown up in the practice and was now an MD working at Cedars. He looked in excellent shape with good color and eyes that were alive and bright. I say this because it was only four years ago that this young physician was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and given six months to a year to live. Today, he is in total remission.
This gave me an opportunity to encourage my patient facing pancreatic cancer. I told her that I just checked the teeth of a young physician that was diagnosed four years ago with a brain tumor and given six months to a year to live. This was at the beginning of his life and career. I told her
that he was now working and received a diagnosis of complete remission. I watched as new strength was infused in her eyes. She sat up in the chair with a proud demeanor and explained to me that we just don’t know do we. We talked about the new sense of joy she has at every ncounter with her loved ones regardless of how small. The reality of what it means to live in the moment. How silly it is to worry about things that haven’t happened or that we have no control over.

As she described these new found realities, I couldn’t help but access my own life and person. It taught me the value of taking the time to visit and listen to everything that is being said. I
felt this overwhelming peace come over me that relaxed my soul. At that moment we both began to cry with smiles on our face. I gave her a hug and held it for a while. As we parted I smiled and while wiping tears from my face I said that I would see her at her next cleaning and that she didn’t have any decay. She hesitated, smiled and said she will see me in six months.

Not your typical dental appointment…but so very much better.
by Dr. Gary O’Brien

0 comments:

Post a Comment